Going away?

Avoid a high water bill from an unexpected leak! Be sure you turn off your water It’s a good idea to shut off the inside water supply if your house is going to be unoccupied for any length of time even a period as short as a weekend (except where water is used for heating purposes).

Simply close the inside building control shut-off valve and open faucets to relieve pressure in the lines. If there is no shut-off valve, at least close the water supply to toilets, sinks, tubs and washing machines that often have individual shut-off valves.

If a property is to be left vacant for 90 days or more, the City’s Waterworks By-law requires property owners notify Hamilton Water within 24 hours of vacating the home to have the water shut off at the street. Hamilton Water can be contacted at (905) 546-4426.
Source: Hamilton Water Newsletter